Featuring high-quality Schmidt-Cassegrain optics, the NexStar 5 SE is an ideal telescope for observing and photographing the wonders of space. With a total weight of 28 lbs including the tripod, the ultra portable 5 SE features a precision optical system with 1,250 mm focal length (f/10) standard with our premium StarBright XLT coatings and offers 56% more light gathering power than a 4" model.
The 5 SE includes a camera control feature that allows you to remotely take a series of timed exposures using your digital SLR camera. Plus the tripod featuring a built-in wedge helps make short-exposure astrophotography a heavenly experience.
The NexStar 5 SE has all the same features as Celestron’s most advanced computerized GoTo telescopes, including our revolutionary SkyAlign™ alignment technology, a sky tour feature, a database of nearly 40,000 celestial objects and easy to use hand control.
Plug the optional CN-16 GPS Accessory into NexStar’s auxiliary port and download data from orbiting GPS satellites for truly quick and easy alignments. The universe may be full of mysteries, but using the NexStar 5 SE isn’t one of them.
In the tradition of Celestron's famous orange optical tubes, the new NexStar SE Family combines the classic heritage of the original orange tube telescopes with state-of-the-art features including a fully computerized operating system, flash upgradeable hand control, our superior StarBright XLT coatings, our revolutionary SkyAlign™ telescope alignment software and much more.
Whether you are a seasoned astronomer looking for a portable scope with advanced features, or just starting your astronomy adventure and looking for an easy way to enjoy the night sky, a NexStar SE will help you take a closer look.
Every NexStar SE includes a version of The Sky® software Level 1 Planetarium software for exploring the Universe on your PC and printing out custom star charts of the sky. In addition, you receive our NexRemote software that allows you to operate your telescope via your PC. Software package valued at over $100 included free with your NexStar SE!
NexStar 5SE - General Features
- 5" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope
- SE combines the classic heritage of the original orange tube telescopes with the latest state-of-the-art features
- StarBright XLT high transmission coatings come standard
- StarPointer finderscope to help with alignment and accurately locating objects
- Quick release fork arm mount, optical tube and accessory tray for no-tool setup
- Sturdy computerized Altazimuth mount
- Internal battery compartment to prevent cord wrap during use
- Ultra sturdy steel tripod features built-in wedge which allows 5 SE to be used for astrophotography
- Includes CD-ROM "The Sky" Astronomy Software which provides education about the sky and printable sky maps
NexStar 5SE - Computerized Mount Features
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- Nearly 40,000 object database with 200 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
- SkyAlign allows you to align on any three bright celestial objects, making for a fast and easy alignment process
- Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
- Includes a camera control feature and shutter release cable that allows you to remotely take a series of exposures using your digital SLR camera
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable star; solar systems; objects and asterisms
- DC Servo motors with encoders on both axes
- Double line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of goto features
- NexRemote telescope control software and RS-232 cable included for advanced control of your telescope via computer
- GPS-compatible with optional CN16 GPS Accessory
Product carries full 2 year Celestron factory limited warranty (within US/Canada only).
125 mm (4.92 in)
1250 mm (49.21 in)
|Dovetail Compatibility:||Quick Release Tube Clamp|
|Mount:||Single Fork Arm Altazimuth|
|Eyepiece 1:||25 mm (0.98 in)|
|Magnification 1:||50 x|
|Other Equipment:||Camera Shutter Cable|
|CD ROM:||NexRemote V1.6.14 and "The Sky®" Level 1|
|Tripod:||Steel with built-in wedge|
|Power Supply:||8-AA batteries (not included)|
|Highest Useful Magnification:||295 x|
|Lowest Useful Magnification:||18 x|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude:||13|
|Resolution (Rayleigh):||1.11 arcsec|
|Resolution (Dawes):||0.93 arcsec|
|Light Gathering Power:||319 x|
|Angular Field of View:||1"|
|Linear Field of View (@1000 yds):||53 ft (16.15 m)|
|Optical Coatings:||StarBright XLT|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction:||1.75 in (44.45 mm)|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Area:||12.6 %|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter:||35.6 %|
|Optical Tube Length:||13 in(330.2 mm)|
|Tripod and Mount Weight:||10 lb (4.54 kg)|
|Telescope Weight:||17.6 lb (7.98 kg)|
|Motor Drive:||Integrated D.C. Electronics|
|Computer Hand Control:||Double line, 16 character Liquid Crystal Display with 19 fiber optic backlit LED buttons|
|Slew Speeds:||Nine slew speeds: 4°/sec, 2°/sec, 1°/sec, 64x, 16x, 8x, 4x, 1x, .5x|
|Tracking Modes:||Alt-Az, EQ North & EQ South|
|Software Features:||Camera Control|
|Alignment Procedures:||SkyAlign, Auto 2-Star Align, 1-Star Align, 2-Star Align, SolarSystemAlign|
|Database:||38,181 accessible objects|
|Software Precision:||24bit, 0.08 arcsec calculations|
|Communication Ports:||RS-232 communication port on hand control, Aux port, Camera Control port||Tracking Rates:||Sidereal, Solar and Lunar|