- 11-inch f/2.2 optical design with rare-earth glass for images free of false color, coma, and field curvature
- 43.3mm optimized image circle maintains pinpoint stars to the far corners of even the largest astroimaging sensors, while the usable field extends even further to 52 mm for larger format sensors
- Custom engineered linear brass focuser bearing reduces image shift, while dual-speed 10:1 FeatherTouch Micro Focus Knob provides the most precise focusing
- Quiet, high-output 12V MagLev fan reduces cooldown time and blocks dust
- Common camera adapters (T-thread and M48) included for easy attachment to popular CCD and DSLR cameras
Capturing impressive deep-sky astroimages is easier than ever with Celestron’s new Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph, the perfect companion to today’s top DSLR or astronomical CCD cameras. This fast, wide-field f/2.2 system offers two huge advantages over traditional f/10 astroimaging: better apparent tracking and shorter exposures. That means you’ll create better-looking astroimages in a fraction of the time, even without the use of an autoguider.
The Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph builds on the legacy of Celestron’s Schmidt Camera, which allowed astrophotographers to produce images on film in the 1970s.
Today, with CCD sensor sizes as large as film—or larger—the Schmidt Astrograph offers a 43.3mm optimized image circle to capture pinpoint stars on the largest imaging chips. (Note: We previously published 70mm which is actually the aperture of the last lens in the telescope. The optical design has not changed). Combine this large image circle with a focal length of just 620 mm and you have an instrument suitable for wide-field imaging, creating huge mosaics of the night sky, surveying, and even comet hunting.
The Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph features newly designed optics with 4-element rare-earth glass for images free of false color and aberrations like coma and field curvature. The optical quality and spot size across the entire image circle is unprecedented for an astrograph in this price range—or even that of a much more expensive instrument. The design also provides minimal vignetting.
Advanced features like a custom engineered linear brass focuser bearing and FeatherTouch Micro Focus Knob allow you to make the fine adjustments you need to capture the perfect shot. Meanwhile, a12V MagLev fan reduces cooldown time and provides optimal airflow through the dust filtered optical tube.
Engineered as a complete astroimaging system, every component of the Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph is optimized for peak performance with DSLR and astronomical CCD cameras. Down to the thickness of the glass used in the included fully-multicoated optical window or an optional imaging filter, every component of the system has been taken into careful consideration to work together seamlessly.
ANCHORED BY CELESTRON’S BEST MOUNT: CGE PRO
An observatory-quality astroimaging setup is well within your reach with Celestron’s CGE Pro. Our flagship mount, CGE Pro is a rock-solid base for up to 90 lbs. of payload, including Celestron’s Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph, which weighs in at just 35 lbs. Feel free to add accessories, guidescopes, CCD cameras, filter wheels, and more; CGE Pro’s motors and 3-inch tripod legs will handle the load with ease. CGE Pro features all of Celestron’s key technologies, including All-Star Polar Alignment, SkyAlign, StarBright XLT optical coatings, Fastar compatibility, and more.
- Optical Design: Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt
- Aperture: 279 mm
- Focal Length: 620 mm
- Focal Ratio: 2.22
- Backfocus from front lens assembly: 72.80 mm
- Backfocus from included camera adapters: 55 mm
- Central obstruction diameter: 114 mm
- Finderscope: Not included
- Resolution (Rayleigh) 0.5 arc seconds
- Resolution (Dawes) 0.41 arc seconds
- Optical Tube Length: 33
- Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye) 1588x
- Optical Coatings: StarBright XLT
- Total Telescope Kit Weight: 198
- Tripod and Pier Weight: 52 lbs
- EQ Mount Weight: 75 lbs
- Counterweight Bar: 5 lbs
- Counterweights: 1 x 22 lbs
- Payload Capacity: 90 lbs
- Motor Drive: DC servo motors with encoders, both axes
- Slew Speeds: Nine slew speeds 5.5 deg/s, 2 deg/s, 0.5 deg/s, 64x, 16x, 8x, 4x, 1x, 0.5x
- Tracking Rates: Sidereal, Solar, Lunar
- Tracking Modes: EQ North, EQ South
- Alignment Procedures: 2-Star Align, Solar System Align, Last Alignment, Quick Align, 1-Star Align
- Computer Hand Control: Double line, 16 character Liquid Crystal Display; 19 backlit LED buttons
- Database: 40,000+ objects, 100 user defined programmable objects. Enhanced information on over 200 objects
- Power Requirements: 12 VDC 3.5A
- Internal Clock: Yes
- GPS: Optional SkySync GPS Accessory
Manufacturer part number: # 11101
Product carries 2 year manufacturer warranty (US/Canada only)
User Manual: EdgeHD Optics Manual (PDF format, 3.2MB)