Agena Holiday Special - Purchase this mount and receive a 10% store credit (worth $99.90) to spend on anything else on our website! Limited time offer. Store credit issued 30 days after purchase and must be used by Mar 30, 2014.
Quick OverviewThe Meade LX80 Multi-mount operates in three modes - German equatorial, single OTA alt-az and dual OTA alt-az. Setting up in any mode is quick and easy. The LX80 is built around a solid aluminum structure, with two large, tapered roller bearings that handle radial and thrust loads on each axis to carry larger loads up to a total payload of 40 pounds In EQ and altaz modes and up to 75 pounds in dual OTA mode. Its precision worm gear drives on both axes deliver smooth, accurate motion and Meade's proprietary SmartDrive provides periodic error correction that dramatically reduces errors providing performance only available on much more expensive mounts. Both the primary and secondary OTA dovetail plates are industry-standard for maximum compatibility with all of your OTAs. The LX80's computerized GoTo mount is controlled with the amazing AudioStar handbox with Meade's exclusive Astronomer Inside audio descriptions of the objects you are viewing.
With the new Meade LX80 Series Multi-Mount, yyou no longer have to make the difficult decision between the ease of setup and operation of an alt-azimuth mount or the versatility and long duration imaging capability of a German equatorial mount. Meade's LX80 is the only mount that gives you both plus one more - three computerized GOTO mounts - for the price of one.
The LX80 Multi-Mount operates in three modes: German equatorial, single OTA alt-az and dual OTA alt-az. Setting up in any mode is quick and easy, while tapered roller bearings in each axis ensure rock solid performance with a total payload of up to 40 pounds in German EQ or single OTA alt-az modes and an amazing 75 pounds in the dual OTA configuration. Mount weight is 35 pounds. The all new fully height adjustable (30.5" to 47") tripod features built in leg levelers at the top of each leg, 2" diameter stainless steel legs for ultimate stability and durability and weighs an additional 31.5 pounds. Latitude range in polar mode is 25 to 90 degrees.
The LX80 GOTO computerized mount comes fully equipped with the Meade AudioStar handbox with over 30,000 object library, 10 arcminute pointing accuracy (5 arcminutes with High Precision mode active) and Astronomer Inside digital audio technology with audio files on over 500 objects. Meade SmartDrive periodic error correction (active in Polar mode only) dramatically reduces errors providing performance only available on much more expensive mounts, taking your astro imaging to a new level of precision. The complete mount is powered by 8 user supplied "AA" batteries. An optional 12V DC power supply is available for separate purchase. Includes two RS-232 serial interface ports (USB Adapter available separately). An optional plug-in Autoguider port is also available and sold separately.
The LX80 brings together an astonishing array of technological and mechanical achievements that provide the kind of innovation and quality that only Meade can deliver.
- Vixen-style dovetail OTA mounting. The die-cast aluminum, industry-standard dovetail provides compatibility with most OTAs.
- Heavy-duty mount. Rock-solid, stable platform with precision worm gear drives on both axes for both visual and astrophotographic requirements.
- Sectional counterweight shaft. Allows for selecting the ideal shaft length for counterbalancing or dual-tube configurations.
- Multi-mount adjustment. Quickly change between alt-az mode and German Equatorial mode.
- Control panel. Includes power connector, handbox port and two auxiliary ports for connecting optional equipment.
- Audiostar computer-control handbox. Meade’s revolutionary AudioStar computer controller finds and points your telescope to over 30,000 objects in the night sky. With its Astronomer Inside™ digital audio technology, everyone around the telescope can listen and learn about the 500-plus celestial objects contained in its database, including planets, nebulae, star clusters, the Moon and much more.
- Fine-tune tripod adjusters. Quickly and easily level your tripod for optimum pointing accuracy.
- Stainless-steel tripod legs.Two inch diameter legs provide a stable foundation.
Product carries full one year Meade factory limited warranty (within US/Canada only).
Design: Multi-Mount German EQ/Alt-Az
Capacity: 40 pounds (German, single Alt-Az) 75 pounds (dual Alt-Az)
Latitude range: 25 to 90 degrees (German EQ Mode)
Power: 12V DC Slew speeds: 1x sidereal to 6.5 degrees/second
Pointing accuracy: 10 arcminutes (5 arcminutes in High-Precision Mode)