- Fused conical primary mirror and cellular secondary mirror
- Precision dual speed 2” Crayford focuser
- Two section truss poles (compact transport) with minimalist, all metal construction
- Fast f/4.1 optics for short eyepiece heights with 94% reflectivity coatings
- 18" provides 27% more light than a 16" telescope
Sky-Watcher Stargate truss-tube Dobsonians are the biggest thing to happen to the astronomy market in quite some time.
With the introduction of the 18 and 20 inch Stargate truss-tube Dobsonians, Sky-Watcher became the first telescope manufacturer to provide mass-market telescopes with this level of light gathering power. With this kind of aperture you'll be able to view the most subtle planetary and deep sky phenomenon.
Stargate telescopes come complete with three 2.3 pound counterweights, 9x50 finderscope, two eyepieces (28mm, 10mm), collimation eyepiece, stabilizing clamps and ribbed fabric shroud.
1. Sky-Watcher's superior optics just got better
Stargates feature Sky-Watcher's exclusive fused conical parabolic mirrors. The fused design allows for thinner mirror construction that provides faster cooling and lighter weight.
Combined with the cast cellular secondary mirror and Sky-Watcher's exclusive 94% reflectivity coatings, Stargate delivers bright, detailed views of your favorite deep sky objects. The 18 inch model captures 27% more light than their 16 inch, while the 20 inch (a full half meter of aperture) boasts a monster 56% more light gathering power.
2. Solid foundations, easy assembly
The minimalist all-metal structure of the Stargate produces a sturdy and stable platform while maintaining a convenient and compact footprint. The truss-tubes break down to a very manageable 36 inch length for easy transport. Azimuth and altitude bearings are steel and Teflon for smooth, steady movement.
Setting up a Stargate is a simple procedure, taking only about 20 minutes. Spring loaded truss anchor points are clearly labeled to eliminate any frustration or confusion. Adjustable feet make leveling a snap.
3. Synscan puts the universe in your hands
Sky-Watcher's GoTo line of Stargates provide motorized operation in both alt and azimuth axes. Featuring Sky-Watcher's proprietary SynScan hand controller, your scope now automatically slews to and tracks over 42,900 celestial objects from the on-board database.
Sky-Watcher's Freedom Find dual-encoder technology ensures accurate tracking while allowing you to move the telescope manually in either axis without compromising alignment. This provides a level of convenience and flexibility not available in telescopes without dual encoders.
- Optical Design: Dobsonian
- Primary Aperture (mm): 508mm (20”)
- Secondary Diameter (mm): 134mm minor axis
- Secondary Obstruction by Area: 7%
- Mirror Coatings: 94% Aluminum
- Glass Type: Borosilicate
- Focal Length (mm): 2000mm
- Focal Ratio: 3.95
- Light Gathering (compared to next size down): Captures 56% more light than a 16” telescope
- Zenith Eyepiece Height: 79”
- Rayleigh Limit: 0.28
- Dawes Limit: 0.23
- Limiting Magnitude: 16
- Minimum Magnification: 72x
- Maximum Magnification: 1000x
- GoTo: Yes
- Object Database: 42900+
- Dual Encoders: Yes
- Focuser: 2″ Dual Speed Crayford
- Included Eyepieces: 28mm LET eyepiece and 10mm eyepiece
- Included Finder: 9×50
- Other Included Items: 2.3lbs counter weights (3), Shroud, Truss clamps
- Upper Cage Weight: 12lbs.
- Truss Pole Weight: 2.6lbs each. 16lbs total
- Mirror Box Weight: 70lbs.
- Dobsonian Base Weight: 66lbs.
- Fully Assembled Weight (with weights): 164lbs.
Manufacturer part number: S11930