I. Vixen A70Lf Achromatic Refractor Telescope
Great introductory telescope with all glass optics. The Vixen A70Lf is an Achromatic Refractor with 70mm (2.8") of aperture. Its focal length is 900mm (3 ft.) with a focal ratio of 12.9. This lightweight telescope has a maximum magnifying power of 143x and reaches a limiting visual magnitude of 11. Its light gathering is 100 times better than the human eye. It weighs about 4 lbs and is covered by Vixen's 5 Year warranty.
The A70Lf OTA (Optical Tube Assembly) comes complete with:
- A smaller 6x24mm finder telescope that attaches to the main scope to help you center the object
- A 20mm eyepiece for general viewing
- A 6.3mm eyepiece for those really clear nights for high power viewing
- A diagonal prism that connects the eyepiece to the telescope
- A Dew / Sun shield (not for solar observing)
- Complete tube rings and dovetail plate to quickly attach the A70Lf to one of the optional Vixen mounts
- Tube Diameter Length and Weight: 76mm x 865mm (3 x 34 in); 1.9 kg (4 lbs)
II. Vixen Porta II Mount Description
The Porta II is a solid altazimuth mount with a 20lb payload capacity and features Slow Motion Flexible Handles to minimize vibrations and keep your view sharp. This is very useful in searching and tracking celestial objects. The Sky at Night says: "When moving the telescope around the sky with this mount, we found any vibrations quickly dampened down. The whole system was very stable, even when the tripod was at its maximum extended height"*. The mount head is easily removed to allow for a switch to a heavier tripod. In addition, this is a great mount for terrestrial viewing. With no locks or clutches, our gear drives make it a simple matter to precisely track a planet or a ship on the horizon by turning the elevation and/or azimuth control handles. The Porta II Mount features slow motion control of both axes, solid central bolt for easy tripod change, flex handles and accessory tray.
The “World-Standard” dovetail attachment system on PORTA II was developed by Vixen. This allows the PORTA II to accept various dovetail mounted optical tubes and binoculars.
- Mount: Port II Altazimuth Mount
- Tripod: Aluminum 2 section adjustable; 35.4" to 51" (90cm to 130cm)
- Mount Weight: 15 lbs including tripod
- Load Capacity: 20 lbs
- Vertical and Horizontal Slow Motion: 120 Tooth Wheel Gears whole circle movement; Friction control system
- Telescope Attachment: Dove Tail Plate
- Accessories: Flexible Slow Motion Handles (2), Accessory Tray, Tool Kit