The best Grab and Go Alt Az Mount! Vixen's Porta II Tall + Mount is a solid alt-azimuth mount with a 20lb payload capacity and features high quality slow motion flexible handles to minimize vibrations and keep your view sharp. This is very useful in searching and tracking celestial objects.
The extra height on this Tall+ mount, made possible by pairing the Porta II mount head with the Vixen AL-150 aluminum tripod, makes it ideal for long refractors or taller individuals.
The BBC Sky at Night magazine says: "When moving the telescope around the sky with this mount, we found any vibrations quickly dampened down. The whole system was very stable, even when the tripod was at its maximum extended height." The mount head is easily removed to allow for a switch to a different compatible tripod. In addition, this is a great mount for terrestrial viewing. With no locks or clutches, the gear drives make it a simple matter to precisely track a planet or a ship on the horizon by turning the elevation and/or azimuth control handles.
The world-standard dovetail attachment system on the PORTA II mount was developed by Vixen. This allows the PORTA II to accept various dovetail mounted optical tubes and binoculars.
- Mount: Porta II Altazimuth Mount
- Tripod: Aluminum 2 section
- Adjustable height: Tallest: 67 inches (170 cm) tall to the Altitude rotation point. Shortest: 40 Inches (100cm)
- Mount weight: 15 lb including tripod
- Load capacity: 20 lbs
- Vertical and horizontal slow motion: 120 tooth wheel gears, whole circle movement, friction control system
- Telescope attachment: Dovetail plate (not included)
- Accessories: High quality slow motion handles, Metal triangle tray
- Product Review: BBC Sky At Night Magazine, December 2008 (PDF Format, 2.9MB)
- User Manual: Instruction Manual for Vixen Porta II / Mini Porta Mount - Old Version (PDF format, 19.7MB)