- ZWO ASI174MC advanced color astronomy camera with 2.35 megapixel CMOS sensor with 1936x1216 resolution, 5.86 μm pixels, and 13.4 mm diagonal size
- Ideal for capturing high-resolution images of the Moon, planets, Sun (with proper solar filter), and brighter deep-sky objects.
- Advanced Sony IMX174 sensor with Exmor technology for high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation
- Fast USB 3.0 transfer at up to 164 fps at maximum 1936x1216 resolution and 397 fps at 640x480; interface is backward compatible to USB 2.0
- Attractive red anodized CNC aluminum body stands up to heavy field use
- Ready to go out of the box with software, cables, adapters, and manual
- Compact body with dimension 62mm diameter and 36mm length, and weight of only 120 g (4.2 oz)
The ZWO ASI174MC is a sensitive and state-of-the-art color astronomy camera with 2.35 megapixel resolution and USB 3.0 download speed. Built around the Sony IMX174 sensor, this advanced camera has a resolution of 1936x1216 with 5.86 μm pixel size. It's ideal for high-resolution color imaging of the Moon, Sun (with proper solar filter), and planets, as well as brighter deep-sky objects.
The heart of this color camera is a Type 1/1.2 CMOS sensor with 13.4 mm diagonal. With a quantum efficiency (QE) of 78%, this advanced sensor incorporates Sony's Exmor technology that enables high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation using column parallel A/D conversion.
The IMX174 sensor also uses Sony's Pregius Global Shutter function with analog memory to permit the scanning of all pixels simultaneously. This improves image quality by ensuring images of moving objects avoid focal plane distortion, a feature which is especially helpful when performing solar or lunar imaging during moments of wind and bad seeing.
The sensor shutter technology and fast USB 3.0 interface on the camera allow transfer rates of up to 164 frames per second at full 1936x1216 resolution. At reduced resolution of 640x480, download rates up to 397 fps become possible. Using the sensor's ROI (Region of Interest) mode, which lets you capture up to 16 areas inside the effective pixels, even higher frame rates are possible. The camera enables exposure times of 32 μs to 300 s (5 minutes).
The ASI174MC has a robust and attractive CNC machined red-anodized aluminum body that stands up to heavy field use. An AR-coated glass window protects the sensor and helps keep images sharp. A 1/4-20 thread in the bottom of the camera makes it easy to attach the device to a camera tripod or mount, and four M4 threads along the outside edge offer additional mounting options.
The camera body features a standard T/T2 female thread (M42x0.75) so that it can be directly connected to T-threaded accessories. Included is a 1.25"-T threaded nosepiece adapter that allows you to use the camera in standard 1.25" telescope focusers. The front of the camera also has a short (11mm long) 2" barrel that can be directly inserted into 2" telescope focusers. However, we recommend that use of a 2" T threaded prime focus adapter (not included) for a more robust connection to 2" telescope focusers.
The ZWO ASI174MC astronomy camera can be used on just about any telescope. It comes with everything you need to get started including a CD with user manual, Windows camera driver, ASCOM driver, SharpCap Image Capturing software, FireCapture Image Capturing software, and Stakkert 2 Stacking software. You also get a 2-meter USB 3.0 cable and a 2-meter ST4 guider cable for use in autoguiding. A M42-threaded 1.25" nosepiece, and a 1.25" cover also come with the camera. When used for autoguiding, the camera can also work with Maxim DL or PHD when guiding with long exposures.
Camera Technical Details
- Sensor: 1/1.2″ CMOS IMX174LLJ / IMX174LQJ
- Resolution: 2.3 Mega Pixels 1936×1216
- Pixel Size: 5.86µm
- Exposure Range: 32µs-300s
- ROI: Supported
- Interface: USB3.0/USB2.0
- Bit rate: 12bit output (12bit ADC)
- Telescope connection: 2" nosepiece / 1.25" nosepiece / M42X0.75 female T thread
- Dimension: φ62mm X 41mm
- Weight: 140g
- Working Temperature: -5°C—45°C
- Storage Temperature: -20°C—60°C
- Working Relative Humidity: 20%—80%
- Storage Relative Humidity: 20%—95%
- 12bit ADC:
- 10bit ADC:
What's in the Box?
- ZWO ASI USB 3.0 Camera Body (not includes the lens )
- M42-1.25″ nosepiece
- 1.25″ Cover
- 2 m long USB cable
- 2 m long ST4 guider cable
- Driver & Extra Software CD (Mac, PC & Linux Compatible)
Manufacturer Part Number: ASI174MC
Product carries a 1 year manufacturer warranty against mechanical defects (within USA only).