- ZWO ASI174MM-COOL advanced cooled monochrome astronomy camera with 2.35 megapixel CMOS sensor with 1936x1216 resolution, 5.86 μm pixels, and 13.4 mm diagonal size
- Integrated TEC cooling reduces sensor temperature to 35C to 40C below ambient to keep noise low to enable imaging of faint deep-sky objects
- Ideal for capturing high-resolution images of the Moon, planets, Sun (with proper solar filter), and deep-sky objects
- Advanced Sony IMX174 sensor with Exmor technology for high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation
- Fast USB 3.0 transfer at up to 164 fps at maximum 1936x1216 resolution and 397 fps at 640x480; interface is backward compatible to USB 2.0
- Attractive red anodized CNC aluminum body stands up to heavy field use
- Ready to go out of the box with software, cables, adapters, and manual
- Compact body with 78mm diameter and weight of only 410 g (14.6 oz)
The ZWO ASI174MM-COOL is a sensitive and state-of-the-art monochrome astronomy camera with 2.35 megapixel resolution and USB 3.0 download speed. Built around the Sony IMX174 sensor, this advanced camera has a resolution of 1936x1216 with 5.86 μm pixel size. With regulated two-stage TEC cooling, this camera can cool the sensor to 35C to 40C below ambient to keep noise low. It's ideal for high-resolution imaging of the Moon, Sun (with proper solar filter), planets, and deep-sky objects.
The heart of this monochrome camera is a Type 1/1.2 CMOS sensor with 13.4 mm diagonal. With a quantum efficiency (QE) of 78%, this advanced sensor incorporates Sony's Exmor technology that enables high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation using column parallel A/D conversion.
The IMX174 sensor also uses Sony's Pregius Global Shutter function with analog memory to permit the scanning of all pixels simultaneously. This improves image quality by ensuring images of moving objects avoid focal plane distortion, a feature which is especially helpful when performing solar or lunar imaging during moments of wind and bad seeing.
On the camera body, next to the USB3.0 and guide ports, a 2.1mm center-positive connector provides an input for the cooler power supply (not included). From the supply, the camera requires 12VDC @ 2A maximum. A Cooler Power LED shows when the cooler has sufficient power. There's also a large built-in heat sink which accounts for nearly 2/3 of the camera's size. At the top of the camera, an advanced and efficient MagLev fan removes heat from the TEC and control electronics while keeping acoustic noise low.
The sensor shutter technology and fast USB 3.0 interface on the camera allow transfer rates of up to 164 frames per second at full 1936x1216 resolution. At reduced resolution of 640x480, download rates up to 397 fps become possible. Using the sensor's ROI (Region of Interest) mode, which lets you capture up to 16 areas inside the effective pixels, even higher frame rates are possible. The camera enables exposure times of 32 μs to 1000 s (16.7 minutes).
The ASI174MM-COOL has a robust and attractive CNC machined red-anodized aluminum body that stands up to heavy field use. An AR/IR-CUT glass window protects the sensor and helps keep images sharp. The camera body includes a standard 2" M42x0.75 internal thread interface on top for adapters, and a 1/4-20 thread in the bottom to make it easy to attach the device to a camera tripod or mount.
The ZWO ASI174MM-COOL astronomy camera can be used with just about any telescope. It comes with everything you need to get started including a CD with user manual, Windows camera driver, ASCOM driver, SharpCap Image Capturing software, FireCapture Image Capturing software, and Stakkert 2 Stacking software. You also get a 2-meter USB 3.0 cable and a 2-meter ST4 guider cable for use in autoguiding. A M42-threaded 1.25" nosepiece, and a 1.25" cover also come with the camera. When used for autoguiding, the camera can also work with Maxim DL or PHD when guiding with long exposures.
ZWO's brand new cooled version of ASI174MM Monochrome CMOS Imaging Camera allows the sensor to be cooled to 35C to 40C degrees below ambient! The 1″ sensor size and 5.86 pixel size of ASI174 make it very suitable for DSO imaging for most scopes. The high QE and low read noise and super fast speed of ASI174 make it to be a camera capable for all. This camera can run without external power supply in normal mode, although ZWO recommends 12V 2.5A or 3A minimum DC adapter for cooler power supply.
Camera technical details
- Sensor: 1/1.2″ CMOS IMX174LLJ / IMX174LQJ
- Resolution: 2.3 Mega Pixels 1936×1216
- Pixel Size: 5.86µm
- Exposure Range: 32µs-1000s
- ROI: Supported
- Interface: USB3.0/USB2.0
- Bit rate: 12bit output(12bit ADC)
- Adapter: 2″ / 1.25″ / M42X0.75
- Dimensions: 78 mm Diameter
- Weight: 410g
- Back Focus Distance: 17.5mm
- Cooling: Regulated Two Stage TEC
- Delta T: 35-40 degrees C
- Cooler Power Supply Required: 12V at 2A Max
- 12bit ADC:
- 10bit ADC: