- ZWO ASI178MC advanced color astronomy camera with back illuminated 6.4 megapixel CMOS sensor with 3096x2080 resolution, 2.4 μm pixels, and 8.92 mm diagonal size
- Ideal for capturing high-resolution color astronomical images with excellent contrast as a result of superior resolution of 14-bit ADC
- Advanced Sony IMX178 sensor with Exmor R technology for high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation with back illuminated sensors
- Fast USB 3.0 transfer at up to 60 fps at maximum 3096x2080 resolution and 253 fps at 640x480; interface is backward compatible to USB 2.0
- Attractive red anodized CNC aluminum body stands up to heavy field use
- Ready to go out of the box with software, cables, adapters, and manual
- Compact body with dimension 62mm diameter and weight of only 120 g (4.3 oz)
The ZWO ASI178MC is a sensitive and state-of-the-art color astronomy camera with 6.4 megapixel resolution and USB 3.0 download speed. Built around the Sony IMX178 back-illuminated sensor, this advanced camera has a resolution of 3096x2080 with 2.4 μm pixel size. With 14-bit ADC and low read noise, this high-sensitivity camera is ideal for high-resolution astronomical imaging and works well for microscopy imaging as well.
The heart of this color camera is a Type 1/1.8 CMOS sensor with 8.92 mm diagonal. This advanced sensor incorporates Sony's Exmor R technology that enables high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation using column parallel A/D conversion with the back-illuminated sensor. The sensor also incorporates Sony's STARVIS technology features a sensitivity of 2000 mV or more per 1 µm2 and allows high image quality in the visible-light and near infrared light regions.
The 14-bit ADC enables high dynamic range and reduced quantization noise and dark random noise. This makes for clearer image quality in light and dark areas when imaging objects with high contrast.
The rolling shutter and fast USB 3.0 interface on the camera allow transfer rates of up to 60 frames per second at full 3096x2080 resolution. At reduced resolution of 640x480, download rates up to 253 fps become possible. The camera enables exposure times of 32 μs to 1000 s (16.7 minutes).
The ASI178MC has a robust and attractive CNC machined red-anodized aluminum body that stands up to heavy field use. An AR/IR-CUT glass window protects the sensor and helps keep images sharp. A 1/4-20 thread in the bottom of the camera makes it easy to attach the device to a camera tripod or mount, and four M4 threads along the outside edge offer additional mounting options.
The camera body features a standard T/T2 female thread (M42x0.75) so that it can be directly connected to T-threaded accessories. Included is a 1.25"-T threaded nosepiece adapter that allows you to use the camera in standard 1.25" telescope focusers. The front of the camera also has a short (8mm long) 2" barrel that can be directly inserted into 2" telescope focusers. However, we recommend that use of a 2" T threaded prime focus adapter (not included) for a more robust connection to 2" telescope focusers.
The ZWO ASI178MC color astronomy camera can be used with just about any telescope. It comes with everything you need to get started including a CD with user manual, Windows camera driver, ASCOM driver, SharpCap Image Capturing software, FireCapture Image Capturing software, and Stakkert 2 Stacking software. You also get a 2-meter USB 3.0 cable and a 2-meter ST4 guider cable for use in autoguiding. A M42-threaded 1.25" nosepiece, and a 1.25" cover also come with the camera. A 2.5mm all-sky lens is also included to give a 170° all-sky view when threaded into the camera. When used for autoguiding, the camera can also work with Maxim DL or PHD when guiding with long exposures.
Camera Technical Details
- Sensor: 1/1.8” CMOS IMX178
- Resolution: 6.4 Mega Pixels 3096*2080
- Pixel Size: 2.4µm
- Sensor Size: 7.4mm*5mm
- Diagonal: 8.92mm
- Exposure Range: 32µs-1000s
- ROI: Supported
- ST4 Guider Port: Yes
- Focus Distance to Sensor: 12.5mm
- Shutter Type: Rolling Shutter
- Protect window: IR-CUT window
- Operating System Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
- Interface: USB3.0/USB2.0
- Bit rate: 14bit output(14bit ADC)
- Telescope connection: 2" nosepiece / 1.25" nosepiece / M42X0.75 female T thread
- Dimension: φ62mm X 36mm
- Weight: 120g or 4.2 ounces (without lens)
- Working Temperature: -5°C—45°C
- Storage Temperature: -20°C—60°C
- Working Relative Humidity: 20%—80%
- Storage Relative Humidity: 20%—95%
- 10bit ADC/14bit ADC
- 3096×2080 60fps / 30fps
- 2560×2048 62fps / 31fps
- 2048×1080 116fps / 58fps
- 1280×960 130fps / 65fps
- 800×600 204.7fps / 102.3fps
- 640×480 253.1fps / 126.5fps
- 320×240 479.7fps / 239.8fps
- More resolutions can be defined by user
Manufacturer Part Number: AS178MC
Product carries a 1 year manufacturer warranty against mechanical defects (within USA only).