- ZWO ASI185MC-COOL advanced color astronomy camera with 1.2 megapixel CMOS sensor with 1944x1224 resolution, 3.5 μm pixel size, and 8.58 mm diagonal
- Integrated TEC cooling reduces sensor temperature to 35C to 40C below ambient to keep noise low to enable imaging of faint deep-sky objects
- Produces single-shot color images without the need for a filter wheel and color filters
- Ideal for capturing high-contrast and high-resolution color astronomical images of solar system objects and many deep-sky objects
- Advanced Sony IMX185 sensor with Exmor technology for high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation
- Fast USB 3.0 transfer at up to 108 fps at maximum 1304x976 resolution and 268 fps at 640x480; interface is backward compatible to USB 2.0
- Attractive red anodized CNC aluminum body stands up to heavy field use
- Ready to go out of the box with software, cables, adapters, and manual
- Compact body with 78mm diameter and weight of only 410 g (14.6 oz)
The ZWO ASI185MC-COOL is a sensitive and state-of-the-art color astronomy camera with 2.3 megapixel resolution and USB 3.0 download speed. Built around the Sony IMX185 sensor, this advanced camera has a resolution of 1944x1224 with 3.5 μm pixel size. With regulated two-stage TEC cooling, this high-sensitivity camera can cool the sensor to 35C to 40C below ambient to keep noise low. It's ideal for high-resolution color imaging of the Moon, Sun (with proper solar filter), planets, and many deep-sky objects.
Similar to the ZWO ASI224MC-COOL camera but with a larger sensor and slightly higher read noise, the ASI185MC-COOL uses the advanced and highly sensitive Sony IMX185 color CMOS sensor. This sensor has a 8.58 mm diagonal and incorporates Sony's Exmor technology that enables high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation using column parallel A/D.
The fast USB 3.0 interface on the camera allow transfer rates of up to 108 frames per second at full 1304x976 resolution. At reduced resolution of 640x480, download rates up to 268 fps become possible. The camera enables exposure times of 32 μs to 1000 s (16.7 minutes).
On the camera body, next to the USB3.0 and guide ports, a 2.1mm center-positive connector provides an input for the cooler power supply (not included). From the supply, the camera requires 12VDC @ 2A maximum. A Cooler Power LED shows when the cooler has sufficient power. There's also a large built-in heat sink which accounts for nearly 2/3 of the camera's size. At the top of the camera, an advanced and efficient MagLev fan removes heat from the TEC and control electronics while keeping acoustic noise low.
The ASI185MC-COOL has a robust and attractive CNC machined red-anodized aluminum body that stands up to heavy field use. A clear IR-cut glass window protects the sensor and helps keep images sharp. The camera body includes a standard 2" M42x0.75 internal thread interface on top for adapters, and a 1/4-20 thread in the bottom to make it easy to attach the device to a camera tripod or mount.
The ASI185MC-COOL color astronomy camera can be used with just about any telescope. It comes with everything you need to get started including a CD with user manual, Windows camera driver, ASCOM driver, SharpCap Image Capturing software, FireCapture Image Capturing software, and Stakkert 2 Stacking software. When used for autoguiding, the camera can also work with Maxim DL or PHD when guiding with long exposures. You also get a 2-meter USB 3.0 cable and a 2-meter ST4 guider cable for use in autoguiding. A M42-threaded 1.25" nosepiece and a 1.25" cover also come with the camera.
ZWO's brand new cooled version of ASI185MC Color CMOS Imaging Camera allows the sensor to be cooled to 35C to 40C degrees below ambient! ASI185MC has a 1/1.9″ and 2.3M pixels sensor IMX185 with SONY Exmor and NIR Technology. Extremely low read noise (3.3 e) and high sensitivity especially in IR range. ASI185MC has the same pixel size of ASI224MC but larger chip size. This camera can run without external power supply in normal mode, although ZWO recommends 12V 2.5A or 3A minimum DC adapter for cooler power supply.
Camera technical details
- Sensor: 1/1.9” CMOS IMX185
- Resolution: 2.3 Mega Pixels 1944*1224
- Pixel Size: 3.75µm
- Sensor Size: 7.3mm*4.6mm
- Diagonal: 8.58mm
- Exposure Range: 32µs-1000s
- ROI: Supported
- ST4 Guider Port: Yes
- Focus Distance to Sensor: 12.5mm
- Shutter Type: Rolling Shutter
- Protect window: AR coated window
- Operating System Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
- Interface: USB3.0/USB2.0
- Bit rate: 12bit output(12bit ADC)
- Adaptor: 2″ / 1.25″ / M42X0.75
- Dimensions: 78 mm Diameter
- Weight: 410g
- Back Focus Distance: 17.5mm
- Cooling: Regulated Two Stage TEC
- Delta T: 35-40 degrees C
- Cooler Power Supply Required: 12V at 2A Max
- 10bit ADC/12bit ADC
- 1944×1224 108 / 54
- 1920*1080 120 / 60
- 1024×768 170.5 / 85.2
- 800×800 163.8 / 81.9
- 640×480 268.4 / 134.2
- 320×240 515.3 / 257.6
- More resolutions can be defined by user