Closeout - All Sales Final.
Please Note: We have just 1 unit of this camera available with a v1.2 board as pictured above and described below. We are offering an Agena gift certificate for $50 with the purchase of this camera. ZWO has replaced this with a new v1.3 board (not yet available from us). The differences between v1.2 (this item) and v1.3 for this camera are as follows:
(1) The autoguider port is ST4 in this v1.2 compared to USB in v1.3.
(2) The v1.3 board now features an "amp glow reduction technology" upgrade; however, this only helps exposures longer than about 1s for this camera model.
- ZWO ASI224MC-COOL advanced color astronomy camera with 1.2 megapixel CMOS sensor with 1304x976 resolution, 3.75 μm pixel size, and 6.09 mm diagonal
- Integrated TEC cooling reduces sensor temperature to 35C to 40C below ambient to keep noise low to enable imaging of faint deep-sky objects
- Produces single-shot color images without the need for a filter wheel and color filters
- Ideal for capturing high-contrast and high-resolution color astronomical images of solar system objects and smaller deep-sky objects
- Advanced Sony IMX224 sensor with Exmor technology for high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation
- Fast USB 3.0 transfer at up to 150 fps at maximum 1304x976 resolution and 299 fps at 640x480; interface is backward compatible to USB 2.0
- Attractive red anodized CNC aluminum body stands up to heavy field use
- Ready to go out of the box with software, cables, adapters, and manual
- Compact body with 78mm diameter and weight of only 410 g (14.6 oz)
The ZWO ASI224MC-COOL is a sensitive and state-of-the-art color astronomy camera with 1.2 megapixel resolution and USB 3.0 download speed. Built around the Sony IMX224 sensor, this advanced camera has a resolution of 1304x976 with 3.75 μm pixel size. With regulated two-stage TEC cooling, this camera can cool the sensor to 35C to 40C below ambient to keep noise low. It's ideal for high-resolution color imaging of the Moon, Sun (with proper solar filter), planets, and smaller deep-sky objects.
Following in the footsteps of the venerable ZWO ASI120 cameras, the ASI224MC-COOL uses the advanced and highly sensitive Sony IMX224 color CMOS sensor. This sensor has a 6.09 mm diagonal and incorporates Sony's Exmor technology that enables high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation using column parallel A/D.
The fast USB 3.0 interface on the camera allow transfer rates of up to 150 frames per second at full 1304x976 resolution. At reduced resolution of 640x480, download rates up to 299 fps become possible. The camera enables exposure times of 32 μs to 1000 s (16.7 minutes).
On the camera body, next to the USB3.0 and guide ports, a 2.1mm center-positive connector provides an input for the cooler power supply (not included). From the supply, the camera requires 12VDC @ 2A maximum. A Cooler Power LED shows when the cooler has sufficient power. There's also a large built-in heat sink which accounts for nearly 2/3 of the camera's size. At the top of the camera, an advanced and efficient MagLev fan removes heat from the TEC and control electronics while keeping acoustic noise low.
The ASI224MC-COOL has a robust and attractive CNC machined red-anodized aluminum body that stands up to heavy field use. A clear IR-cut glass window protects the sensor and helps keep images sharp. The camera body includes a standard 2" M42x0.75 internal thread interface on top for adapters, and a 1/4-20 thread in the bottom to make it easy to attach the device to a camera tripod or mount.
The ZWO ASI224MC-COOL color astronomy camera can be used with just about any telescope. It comes with everything you need to get started including a CD with user manual, Windows camera driver, ASCOM driver, SharpCap Image Capturing software, FireCapture Image Capturing software, and Stakkert 2 Stacking software. When used for autoguiding, the camera can also work with Maxim DL or PHD when guiding with long exposures. You also get a 2-meter USB 3.0 cable and a 2-meter ST4 guider cable for use in autoguiding. A M42-threaded 1.25" nosepiece and a 1.25" cover also come with the camera.
ZWO's brand new cooled version of ASI224MC Color CMOS Imaging Camera allows the sensor to be cooled to 35C to 40C degrees below ambient! ASI224MC has a 1/3″ and 1.2M pixels sensor IMX224 with SONY Exmor and NIR Technology. Extremely low read noise (1.5 e) and high sensitivity especially in IR range. Very suitable for astronomy planetary and small DSO imaging. This camera can run without external power supply in normal mode, although ZWO recommends 12V 2.5A or 3A minimum DC adapter for cooler power supply.
Camera technical details
- Sensor: 1/3” CMOS IMX224/IMX225
- Resolution: 1.2Mega Pixels 1304X976
- Pixel Size: 3.75µm
- Sensor Size: 4.8mm*3.6mm
- Diagonal: 6.09mm
- Exposure Range: 32µs-1000s
- ROI: Supported
- ST4 Guider Port: Yes
- Focus Distance to Sensor: 12.5mm
- Shutter Type: Rolling Shutter
- Protect window: AR coated window
- Operating System Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
- Interface: USB3.0/USB2.0
- Bit rate: 12bit output(12bit ADC)
- Adaptor: 2″ / 1.25″ / M42X0.75
- Dimension: 78 mm Diameter
- Weight: 410g
- Back Focus Distance: 17.5mm
- Cooling: Regulated Two Stage TEC
- Delta T: 35-40 degrees C
- Cooler Power Supply Required: 12V at 2A Max
- 10bit ADC / 12bit ADC
- 1304×976 150fps / 64fps
- 1280×960 152.4fps / 65fps
- 800×600 241.2fps / 102.9fps
- 640×480 299.4fps / 127.6fps
- 320×240 577.9fps / 256.4fps
- More resolutions can be user defined