- ZWO ASI290MC-COOL advanced color astronomy camera with back illuminated 2.1 megapixel CMOS sensor with 1936x1096 resolution, 2.9 μm pixels, and 6.46 mm diagonal size
- Integrated TEC cooling reduces sensor temperature to 35C to 40C below ambient to keep noise low to enable imaging of faint deep-sky objects
- Ideal for capturing high-resolution color astronomical images of the Moon, Sun, and planets
- Advanced Sony IMX290 sensor with Exmor R technology for high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation with back illuminated sensors
- Fast USB 3.0 transfer at up to 170 fps at maximum 1936x1096 resolution and 381 fps at 640x480; interface is backward compatible to USB 2.0
- Attractive red anodized CNC aluminum body stands up to heavy field use
- Ready to go out of the box with software, cables, adapters, and manual
- Compact body with 78mm diameter and weight of only 410 g (14.6 oz)
The ZWO ASI290MC-COOL is a sensitive and state-of-the-art color astronomy camera with 2.1 megapixel resolution and USB 3.0 download speed. Built around the Sony IMX290 back-illuminated sensor, this advanced camera has a resolution of 1936x1096 with 2.9 μm pixel size. With 12-bit ADC and low read noise, this color camera is ideal for high-resolution imaging of the Moon, Sun (with safe solar filter), and planets, and works well on small deep-sky objects as well. And with regulated two-stage TEC cooling, this camera can cool the sensor to 35C to 40C below ambient to keep noise low.
The heart of this color camera is a Type 1/2.8 CMOS sensor with 6.46 mm diagonal. This advanced sensor incorporates Sony's Exmor R technology that enables high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation using column parallel A/D conversion with the back-illuminated sensor. The sensor also incorporates Sony's STARVIS technology features a sensitivity of 2000 mV or more per 1 µm2 and allows high image quality in the visible-light and near infrared light regions.
The rolling shutter and fast USB 3.0 interface on the camera allow transfer rates of up to 170 frames per second at full 1936x1096 resolution. At reduced resolution of 640x480, download rates up to 381 fps become possible. The camera enables exposure times of 32 μs to 2000 s (33.3 minutes).
On the camera body, next to the USB3.0 and guide ports, a 2.1mm center-positive connector provides an input for the cooler power supply (not included). From the supply, the camera requires 12VDC @ 2A maximum. A Cooler Power LED shows when the cooler has sufficient power. There's also a large built-in heat sink which accounts for nearly 2/3 of the camera's size. At the top of the camera, an advanced and efficient MagLev fan removes heat from the TEC and control electronics while keeping acoustic noise low.
The ASI290MC has a robust and attractive CNC machined red-anodized aluminum body that stands up to heavy field use. An AR/IR-CUT glass window protects the sensor and helps keep images sharp. The camera body includes a standard 2" M42x0.75 internal thread interface on top for adapters, and a 1/4-20 thread in the bottom to make it easy to attach the device to a camera tripod or mount.
The ZWO ASI290MC-COOL color astronomy camera can be used with just about any telescope. It comes with everything you need to get started including a CD with user manual, Windows camera driver, ASCOM driver, SharpCap Image Capturing software, FireCapture Image Capturing software, and Stakkert 2 Stacking software. You also get a 2-meter USB 3.0 cable and a 2-meter ST4 guider cable for use in autoguiding. A M42-threaded 1.25" nosepiece, and a 1.25" cover also come with the camera. When used for autoguiding, the camera can also work with Maxim DL or PHD when guiding with long exposures.
- Link to camera manuals for all ZWO products
- Link to Software and Drivers for all ZWO cameras
- Link to ZWO User Group forum
This camera requires the newest version of the following software:
- SharpCap V2.8.2325 and up
- Firecapture V2.5.03 and up