- ZWO ASI290MM advanced monochrome astronomy camera with back illuminated 6.4 megapixel CMOS sensor with 1936x1096 resolution, 2.9 μm pixels, and 6.46 mm diagonal size
- Ideal for capturing high-resolution images of the Moon, Sun, and planets
- Advanced Sony IMX290 sensor with Exmor R technology for high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation with back illuminated sensors
- Fast USB 3.0 transfer at up to 170 fps at maximum 1936x1096 resolution and 381 fps at 640x480; interface is backward compatible to USB 2.0
- Attractive red anodized CNC aluminum body stands up to heavy field use
- Ready to go out of the box with software, cables, adapters, and manual
- Compact body with dimension 62mm diameter and weight of only 120 g (4.3 oz)
The ZWO ASI290MM is a sensitive and state-of-the-art monochrome astronomy camera with 2.1 megapixel resolution and USB 3.0 download speed. Built around the Sony IMX290 back-illuminated sensor, this advanced camera has a resolution of 1936x1096 with 2.9 μm pixel size. With 12-bit ADC and low read noise, this monochrome camera is ideal for high-resolution imaging of the Moon, Sun (with safe solar filter), and planets, and works well on small deep-sky objects as well.
The heart of this monochrome camera is a Type 1/2.8 CMOS sensor with 6.46 mm diagonal. This advanced sensor incorporates Sony's Exmor R technology that enables high-speed processing, low noise, and low power dissipation using column parallel A/D conversion with the back-illuminated sensor. The sensor also incorporates Sony's STARVIS technology features a sensitivity of 2000 mV or more per 1 µm2 and allows high image quality in the visible-light and near infrared light regions.
The rolling shutter and fast USB 3.0 interface on the camera allow transfer rates of up to 170 frames per second at full 1936x1096 resolution. At reduced resolution of 640x480, download rates up to 381 fps become possible. The camera enables exposure times of 32 μs to 2000 s (33.3 minutes).
The ASI290MM has a robust and attractive CNC machined red-anodized aluminum body that stands up to heavy field use. An AR/IR-CUT glass window protects the sensor and helps keep images sharp. A 1/4-20 thread in the bottom of the camera makes it easy to attach the device to a camera tripod or mount, and four M4 threads along the outside edge offer additional mounting options.
The camera body features a standard T/T2 female thread (M42x0.75) so that it can be directly connected to T-threaded accessories. Included is a 1.25"-T threaded nosepiece adapter that allows you to use the camera in standard 1.25" telescope focusers. The front of the camera also has a short (8mm long) 2" barrel that can be directly inserted into 2" telescope focusers. However, we recommend that use of a 2" T threaded prime focus adapter (not included) for a more robust connection to 2" telescope focusers.
The ZWO ASI290MM monochrome astronomy camera can be used with just about any telescope. It comes with everything you need to get started including a CD with user manual, Windows camera driver, ASCOM driver, SharpCap Image Capturing software, FireCapture Image Capturing software, and Stakkert 2 Stacking software. You also get a 2-meter USB 3.0 cable and a 2-meter ST4 guider cable for use in autoguiding. A M42-threaded 1.25" nosepiece, and a 1.25" cover also come with the camera. A 2.5mm all-sky lens is also included to give a 170° all-sky view when threaded into the camera. When used for autoguiding, the camera can also work with Maxim DL or PHD when guiding with long exposures.
- Sensor: 1/2.8″ CMOS IMX290/IMX291
- Resolution: 2.1Mega Pixels 1936×1096
- Pixel Size: 2.9µm
- Exposure Range: 32µs-2000s
- ROI: Supported
- ST4 Guider Port: Yes
- Focus Distance to Sensor: 12.5mm
- Shutter Type: Rolling Shutter
- Protect window: AR coated window
- Operating System Compatibility: Mac, Windows, Linux
- Interface: USB3.0/USB2.0
- Bit rate: 12bit output(12bit ADC)
- Adaptor: 2″ / 1.25″ / M42X0.75
- Dimension: φ62mm X 36mm
- Weight: 120g or 4.2 ounces (without lens)
- Working Temperature: -5°C—45°C
- Storage Temperature: -20°C—60°C
- Working Relative Humidity: 20%—80%
- Storage Relative Humidity: 20%—95%
USB2.0 MAX FPS
- 1936×1096: 20.4
- 1280×960: 35.3
- 640×480: 141.5
- 320×240: 355.9
- 2X2Bin :968×548: 20.4
USB3.0 MAX FPS(12bit/10bit)
- 1936×1096: 82.2/170
- 1280×960: 93.6/193.9
- 640×480: 184/381.2
- 320×240: 355.9/737.5
- 2X2Bin :968×548: 82.2/170
More resolutions can be user defined